Book Review: How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman

I had heard a lot about this cookbook. Apparently, the author is known for a food column by the name, The Minimalist, because he goes for simple, easy recipes with few ingredients. So I got this one from the library to see what I thought.

At first, I was most impressed by the size. It's huge! But don't be fooled by the title. It won't really tell you how to cook everything. It does, however, teach basic cooking principles which would help you create your own recipes or analyze someone else's.

But after trying several recipes from the book, I am not sure it's worth it. The first one I tried, Kale and Potato Soup, was good, but not great. I put that down to the fact that I used canned broth instead of homemade. The next one, Easy Tomato Sauce, was too bland. It was easy, but it wasn't as good as the stuff from a jar. I also made the Bruschetta, and that was good. Then I tried the Bitter Chocolate Sorbet. It sounded so easy - just cocoa powder, sugar, and water. Well, it tasted and smelled great, but it melted right away and the texture was a little odd. It wasn't worth it, I thought. Tonight is the final test - I'm making Chicken Teriyaki with chicken tenderloins. It sure smells good.

Bottom line: borrow this one before you buy it. Some people will love it, but I think I already have cookbooks just as good as this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diamond Cookie Pie

Cranberry-Glazed Turkey

Soda Cracker Candy